Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Will Moves to Texas to Become a Ranger (Book One, Chapter Three)

         “I finally arrived in Austin in the fall of 1873. I located the people Alex knew, introduced myself, and settled in. One of the families was kind enough to offer me a room and board, given my connections. They pointed me toward the Texas Rangers office, and I made my way there immediately."

  The Rangers office had not been what he’d expected. Instead of a room full of cowboys, he’d found a neat front office, complete with desk, bookshelves, and a sitting area. Behind the desk sat a young man, a few years older than Will himself, dressed smartly in a tweed coat and tie. Beside him sat a neat bowler hat.


        “I told him that I wanted to be a Texas Ranger, I showed him my letter, and he nodded,” Will told Elizabeth. “No one jumped out to offer me a badge and gun, as I’d expected. Instead, he told me that he would set me up with an appointment for an exam. I was told to come back the next morning.”


“You must have been extremely disappointed,” Elizabeth observed.


Will nodded. “I was, but I knew that I was following my destiny. You must also remember that this was my first time out of Boston, and in Texas. I was so excited to be in a new town that I could barely contain myself. I spent the entire day – and most of the night – exploring the town, meeting new people, and getting into trouble. I even believed that I fell in love with a girl, that day,” Will finished, smiling to himself. He glanced up at Elizabeth, blushing. “I was very young, and impressionable. The entire world looked new to me, and bright with possibility. The family I stayed with must have thought that I was crazy. The next day, though, I marched back into the Texas Rangers office, ready for my exam.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Death Dam:" - Second Book in Trilogy Begins!

The Will Austin Adventure Series Book Two: "Death Dam" Boston 1888. Sheriff Will Austin, now retired, fin...