Thursday, June 20, 2024

Elizabeth Receives a Response Letter from Pablo Reyes, to Help with Surveying the Ranch for Documentation (Book 3, Chapter 7)

A Month Later 

A month after sending the letter to Pablo Reyes, they received the response. 

Jorge found Elizabeth in a barn with a new foal and pulled up next to the stall, his chest heaving. 


Señora Arroyo! Señora Arroyo!”


Elizabeth looked up from the newborn on the straw floor. “What is it, Jorge?” 


“A letter from Pablo Reyes. It arrived in the mail. I picked it up in town today.” 


Elizabeth’s caught her breath. Already? That had been far quicker than she’d expected, though in truth she praised the Lord that it had come already. They’d heard no further news from the major, and she feared that he would be of little use to them. They needed someone with power on their side. More power than she could wield on her own.


“Can you keep an eye on the foal for me, Carmen?” she asked the girl next to her.


“Esta bien, tia Elizabeth.” 


Gracias.” Elizabeth rose from the floor and strode to where Jorge stood, reaching out for the white envelope he held. She took the envelope in her hands and stared at it, her hands shaking. “I am afraid to open it,” she confessed.


“Would you like me to open it for you?” 


Gracias, Jorge.” Elizabeth handed it back, then held her hands tightly together and bent her head, praying the letter said what she hoped it would. 


Jorge took his weather-worn index finger and slid it along the top of the envelope, then removed the thin piece of white paper, opened it and read the lines slowly to make sure he understood every word. Then a smile spread across his face.


Señora, he said he would be happy to help in any way!” 


Elizabeth grabbed the letter from Jorge’s hands and started to read the letter out loud, unable to keep the joy from her voice.


Señora Arroyo,


I was very glad to receive your letter. It was good to hear again from a fellow horse lover. However, I wish it was under better circumstances. 


Your letter was the first I had heard of El Alto Grande being built on the San Gabriel. I understand your grave concerns and those of the surrounding ranchers and farmers, and I would like to help in any way possible. 


I have sent a letter to a friend, who has worked on other large projects with the government, and I believe he can help, especially since he owes me a couple of special favors. At a recent local meeting, I also mentioned to other ranchers in this area what is happening in your area. Many have said they are willing to help pay for the surveyor’s fees and expenses, to help you and your neighbors understand what will happen. 


When I hear from my friend in Mexico City, I will send you another letter.


On a lighter note, I am looking forward to the next races. I know that you will have some very fine horses to race. Your daughter Pilar is an outstanding horsewoman, just like her mother.


With all respect,



Pablo Reyes”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pilar, Santiago and Enrique Run For Their Lives from Rancho Arroyo with Horses and Wagons from the Water Now Covering Rancho Arroyo (Book 5, Chapter 7)

     Sleep was fitful that night for all three of the siblings. Where normally the soft patter of rain on the roof would lull them to sleep,...