Wednesday, June 26, 2024

Will discusses with Elizabeth Having Dr. Wilson Stay at Ranch and Work with Oscar. (Book 4, Chapter 10)

    Elizabeth stopped the wagon when Will explained who Dr. Wilson was and why he was coming to Santa Maria. 

“Hypnosis for Oscar?”


“Yes, I’m sure you’ve seen how he is teased, how afraid he is of interacting with others. It helped me so much when Dr. Wilson put me under. I’m sure it can help Oscar too.”


Elizabeth snapped the reins and the horse started forward again. It took her a moment before she spoke again.


“Of course, the doctor can stay at the ranch. I would be happy to host him, but he is an American who doesn’t speak Spanish. What makes you think Oscar will even be willing to meet with him?”


“Well, that’s where you come in.”


“Me? Oscar knows me, but we are just acquaintances. He would not trust me. Yes, I have lived here many years, now, but I am also an American.”


“Right, but he would trust his mother.”


Elizabeth stared at Will, understanding now what he was asking of her.


“Listen, Will. I understand you’re concerned about Oscar, but I have other things to worry about with that proposed dam. I’m still waiting to find out if we can get the papers to prove the Arroyo family owns this land, otherwise we’ll be forced off without any compensation. We have the horses, of course, and the few cattle and goats, but there are a lot of mouths to house and feed. We would have very little left to use to relocate on without the compensation from this land. And then where would we go?”


Will dropped his head. “I’m sorry, you’re right. You have a lot on your plate. It’s just…I thought, if I could help Oscar, like the doctors have helped me…” he said, his voice trailing off.


Elizabeth looked at Will’s forlorn face and sighed deeply. As well as Will was doing with his recovery, she knew he missed his work as a sheriff. He was good at it, and now he was left with the chores around the ranch he could do with one arm. She understood his frustration.


She pursed her lips. “Let me think on this more before I agree to help you.”


Will’s head lifted with a smile. “Wait until you can meet Dr. Wilson and listen to what he has to say. He can explain it better than I can. I’m sure this will work!”


“All right. But this ultimately it has to be Rosa and Wilmar’s decision. Oscar is their son.”


“Agreed,” Will said.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pilar, Santiago and Enrique Run For Their Lives from Rancho Arroyo with Horses and Wagons from the Water Now Covering Rancho Arroyo (Book 5, Chapter 7)

     Sleep was fitful that night for all three of the siblings. Where normally the soft patter of rain on the roof would lull them to sleep,...