Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Will Makes Trip to Old Colony Train Station to Check on Schedule for Steam Ships to New York(Book Two, Chapter 12)

    Early the next morning, Will rode the horse-drawn streetcar to the Old Colony train station on the corner of Kneeland and South Streets to ask about the schedule of the Fall River Boat Train and the steamships into New York.

“Which day do you plan to travel, sir?” the ticket agent asked. 


“I don’t have the exact dates yet,” Will explained. “I’m still working those out with the person I’ll be meeting with in New York. Does it make a difference?”


“No. I ask because I have brochures for each of the difference steamships, and they all travel on different days. Some passengers prefer one steamship over another. Each ship has her own unique qualities. We have some regular passengers who will only travel on their favorite ships, and not the others.” 


“I had no idea. This will be my first trip on one. A close friend recommended them to me. Can I have one of each of the brochures, so that I can ask him to look them over? I don’t think I would have any preference, as long as they all get me into New York and back.” Will chuckled and the ticket agent smiles. 


“Here you go, sir, one of each. I’ve been riding the steamships back and forth to New York regularly to visit my cousin for over ten years. I like them all, but my favorite is the Bristol. She’s beautiful! So elegant! However, there is a brand new ship called the Pilgrim, and she’s much bigger and faster than the others, and as fine as some of the best hotels in New York and Boston!” The ticket agent leaned forward as if to tell Will a secret. “In the office, I’ve heard rumors about a new ship in the planning stages that won’t arrive for a few years, but is supposed to be bigger and more spectacular than all of them! I can’t wait!” 


Will thought that the ticket agent sounded like she could be talking about a favorite boyfriend. “It sounds like I am talking to the right person. Thank you for the brochures. I’ll look them over.” Will turned and walked away, starting to flip through the pamphlets. He found out that, no matter the ship, he should catch the 6PM Fall River train from the Old Colony station, arriving at Fall River by approximately 7:30PM. Then he would catch one of the Fall River Steamboats all the way into New York’s harbor, and arrive early the next morning. It sounded like the adventure of a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Will discusses with Elizabeth Having Dr. Wilson Stay at Ranch and Work with Oscar. (Book 4, Chapter 10)

     Elizabeth stopped the wagon when Will explained who Dr. Wilson was and why he was coming to Santa Maria.   “Hypnosis for Oscar?” “Yes, ...