Thursday, June 27, 2024

Will Makes His Decision About What to Do After Rancho Arroyo (Book 5, Chapter 5)

    It was midnight when Elizabeth walked out on the large porch, the cool spring breeze rustling the edges of the shawl she had wrapped around her nightgown. There was enough of a moon to cover the landscape in a muted light, so she could see all the familiar buildings that made up Rancho Arroyo. But Elizabeth didn’t need moonlight to find her way around the ranch. She could have done it blindfolded. An owl hooted in the distance, adding to the serene scene.

She was startled when she musings when she heard a voice.


“I’m not surprised you’re up,” Will said from the shadows. He stepped up next to her and motioned to the wicker settee. 


Elizabeth sat. Will sat next to her.


“I imagine you have a lot on your mind,” he said.


It took a moment for Elizabeth to speak.


“Do you think I made the right decision, Will?”


Will smiled and took her hand. “You are a good woman, Elizabeth, and the family knows that. You have their best interests at heart, and they know that too. They support you and I support you too.”


She reached up and put her hand on his stubbled cheek, then leaned into him, dropping her head onto his chest. Will leaned back encircling her with his arms. He would never be able to bring his right arm above his head, but he was happy he could easily hug the woman he cared deeply for.


“I will miss this place, though,” he eventually said. 


Elizabeth nodded but didn’t reply.


They sat in silence so long, Will thought Elizabeth may have dozed off. But when she spoke, her voice was clear. 


“Are you coming with us to San Antonio?” she said, sitting up and looking into his eyes. “I was just thinking about that,” she said with a chuckle.


When he didn’t answer right away, she rested back against his chest. She didn’t want to rush or pressure him. Even though they had been together for over forty years now, they had never married, so Will was free to do as he pleased. There had been times where he had traveled back to the states, to visit his family in Boston or to visit the doctors that helped him get the function in his right arm back. But he always came back.


 He could wield a gun and lift a bale of hay, but he had no speed for a gun fight, so he had given up the idea of going back to being a sheriff. It was a blow when he realized this fact, but Elizabeth had helped he through that as he had helped her many times. As he was helping her now.


“I was thinking I’d like to do a bit of traveling. I’m not getting any younger, so now’s the time.”


Elizabeth sat up again.


He continued. “I’ve seen the Atlantic, but I’ve never seen the Pacific.” 


He took both of her hands in his and looked at her earnestly. “Come with me. There is so much more of America to see, the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, Yosemite, Yellowstone National Park!” he said with excitement.


“That would be fun. I’ve seen pictures of the Grand Canyon in one of those viewfinders, but I’m sure it pales in comparison to seeing it in person. Same with Yosemite or Yellowstone. I don’t know much about Death Valley, but I’m sure it’s better than it sounds,” she said with a laugh.


“I guess the salt flat in the Valley is amazing,” Will added. Then he saw the look on Elizabeth’s face and he knew there was a but… “But…” he said to prompt her.


Elizabeth nodded. “But the family needs me now more than ever. I’d love to go with you, Will. I really would. I’d just wished you’d have asked me five years ago. As you say, we’re not getting any younger, and this is a big move for my family. I need to be there to smooth the rough patches as best I can. And you know, there will be rough patches.”


It was Will’s turn to nod. “Like with Pilar and Isabella?”


“Yes, and Enrique and Santiago. This move could easily pull this family apart. I can’t let that happen. And if I’m not here, it surely will.” 


Will couldn’t argue with her; he knew she was right, as she was with most things.


He pulled her back into his arms. 


“I will miss you, Will Austin,” Elizabeth said. “Don’t forget about me when you’re gone.”


Will pushed Elizabeth into sitting, took her face in his hands, and kissed her, then he pulled her into him and whispered in her ear. “You can’t get rid of me that easily. I’ll be back, I promise.”


Elizabeth was not so sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pilar, Santiago and Enrique Run For Their Lives from Rancho Arroyo with Horses and Wagons from the Water Now Covering Rancho Arroyo (Book 5, Chapter 7)

     Sleep was fitful that night for all three of the siblings. Where normally the soft patter of rain on the roof would lull them to sleep,...