Thursday, June 20, 2024

Elizabeth Writes Letter to Will and Will Writes Letter to Elizabeth in Return (Book 3, Chapter 8)

February, 1887 

Dear Will,


How are your visits with Dr. Ziroli coming along? I hope you are doing well, and we all hope you can soon return to Rancho Arroyo. Everybody misses you very much.


Several new foals have been born, and we are busy with many visitors to the guest house.


There was a meeting recently in town about the dam being planned for the San Gabriel. They are calling it El Alto Grande. I don’t like that name. I also don’t believe that we ranchers are being told the truth about El Alto Grande. For that reason, it’s hard to tell you what is happening. Even the abogado does not seem to know what is really happening, or so he says. I think his pockets are being lined with gold from this project, however, and I don’t trust him. He seems to be buying a lot of new and expensive things. I would have thought he would have our best interests at heart, but … well. It is all very confusing. 


When can you come back? I know your arm needs treatment, but Will, we need you here. I need your advice. I’m afraid that we’re going to lose our ranch, and I’m not sure how to stop it. 


And Pilar is asking when you will return and start taking her to horse races.


Waiting to hear from you,


Elizabeth


****************

Elizabeth,


I enjoyed reading your letter, as always. I understand your concern about El Alto Grande, and there appears to be many unanswered questions. I asked a couple of friends here at the University, and they said that these projects can take many years to plan and build, and many changes can happen along the way. I wouldn’t worry quite yet – there’s still plenty of time for us to change things.


I want to return soon. I have talked to Uncle Benjamin and Aunt Elisa, and they both agreed that I need to leave Boston and return to Rancho Arroyo. Please tell Pilar I will be there soon, and we will travel to some races with Prince.


I should be able to leave here within the month, and when I do I will send a telegram to give you a planned arrival date. 


I hope this helps to ease your mind. 


See you in person very soon.


Will

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pilar, Santiago and Enrique Run For Their Lives from Rancho Arroyo with Horses and Wagons from the Water Now Covering Rancho Arroyo (Book 5, Chapter 7)

     Sleep was fitful that night for all three of the siblings. Where normally the soft patter of rain on the roof would lull them to sleep,...